Nothings says I Love You more than chocolate, well maybe red roses, but they don’t taste good. So to spoil your Valentine, here is a healthy dark chocolate recipe that you can make that only takes 10 minutes. It is rich and creamy and also very healthy. Enjoy it as pure chocolate decadence or spice it up with a bit of chili flavor, or anything else you like. Enjoy!
Makes 8 servings
1/2 cup organic coconut oil
1/2 cup organic cocoa powder
3 tbs (or less) wild honey, or see below
1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
optional flavoring (I like cayenne pepper for a bit of heat and good capsicum)
optional nuts, walnuts, cashews, almonds
The original recipe calls for honey but you can reduce the amount to suit your taste. You can also substitute agave nectar or maple syrup. Best option is stevia, either liquid or powdered.
- Gently melt the coconut oil in a sauce pan over low heat. Coconut oil melts at 76 degrees F, so it doesn’t have to get very warm.
- Stir in the cocoa power, sweeter, and vanilla extract.
- Mix until smooth
- Add chili or flavoring to taste. The ideas are orange zest, cayenne pepper, cinnamon
- Let cool till it is just warm.
- Pour into candy molds or any silicone tray or pan.
- Cool in refrigerator for at least an hour.
Note that if it is warm out you’ll want to keep them in the refrigerator so they don’t melt on the counter. Kids will love them too, but theses aren’t M&Ms and they will melt in your hands.